Did you know that as a country, in the September 2014 quarter, we produced 546.7 metric tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions?*
While fluctuations occur and we report decreases as much as increases, it is still safe to say that things needs to change. We are in a good position when compared to other parts of the world but we can always do better.
There are several ways to reduce greenhouse emissions that apply to homes, businesses and individuals:
- Check the energy star rating when selecting appliances (the higher the number, the greater efficiency it has).
- Research information on fuel-efficient vehicles (this may also help you save money in the long run).
- Reducing personal energy use by turning off lights and electronics when not in use. This reduces electricity demand.
- Reducing distance travelled in vehicles reduces petrol consumption. Ride your bike or walk if you can!
- Fuel switching – Producing more energy from renewable sources and using fuels with lower carbon contents are ways to reduce carbon emissions.
Abode Hotels moved to make these reductions a main component of our daily operations. This was especially considered in the readaptation of office building, Juliana House, in to Abode Woden.
Abode Woden does its part for the sustainability cause in the following ways:
- Each hotel room has a shut-down switch to minimise lighting, power, heating and cooling.
- The mechanical system will service each floor separately, and a management strategy is in place to shut down cooling and heating to unoccupied floors, ensuring the mechanical system operates on a floor only when rooms are occupied.
- We specify energy efficient mechanical system with a high coefficient of performance.
- We have widened thermal bands to reduce the heating and cooling requirements.
- We have incorporated heat recovery systems to capture and reuse waste heat from building services.
- We use efficient LED and compact fluorescent lights.
- We use energy efficient appliances.
- A metering strategy has been developed to monitor the energy and water consumption within the building.
- Commissioning and building tuning has been and will be performed on all building services.
As a society, we are looking at ways to bring our emissions down through alternative power sources and moving forward in finding new ways to do old tasks that benefit the environment and ultimately, human survival.
Abode Woden has been named Australia’s greenest hotel this year with the highest NABERS rating of every hotel in the country!
*Information obtained from Department of Environment’s Quarterly update of Australia’s National Greenhouse Gas Inventory: September 2014