Travelling with your dog: top 5 tips for car trips
1. Check your dog is fully vaccinated. This might seem like a no-brainer, but is one of the most overlooked and accidentally forgotten aspects of doggy healthcare. Dogs can pick up all sorts of viruses or get in harm’s way, so have copies of their vaccinations and medical records at hand if travelling for long periods. You never know, you might need them if you have to seek treatment from a vet on the road.
2. Check your dog is microchipped and registered. Chips are usually inserted when dogs are puppies, however if you have recently inherited a dog or collected an adoption pup, it’s important to make arrangements to have them chipped and registered to your address and mobile phone number, in case they get lost.
3. Do you like your own pillow when you travel? Dogs do too! You’ll find your dog will be more relaxed when you arrive at your destination if he or she can settle down on familiar-smelling and comfortable bedding.
4. If you haven’t already, train your dog to enjoy long-distance car travel. It’s good to know ahead of time if they’re prone to getting car sick, need frequent toilet stops or experience stress. These are all things worth finding out before you embark on your big day. Take some practice drives to the coast and other places where you feel confident and comfortable; this will help align your dog’s expectations of car travel, and will help him or her get used to longer and longer trips.
5. Pack for your dogs as thoroughly as you would for yourself. Dogs prefer their own food and water bowls. Pack a doggy first aid kit to be able to confidently treat any condition on the run. Keep your vets’ number handy, and most of all enjoy yourself. Dogs can be the laid-back travel partner everyone dreams about and can connect you with the locals along the road.
Are you and your furry plus-one due for a well-earned break? For a small extra fee, Abode Narrabundah and Gungahlin offer pet owners and their companions with stylish, warm and affordable apartment-style rooms. Book a ground-floor room so you and your pet can easily meet up and play with other pets in the common gardens.
Our pet package includes:
- Discounted room rate in a pet-friendly studio apartment
- FREE parking and unlimited Wi-Fi
- Bottle of water
Book now below.
Terms and conditions: Maximum of two pets. Travel dates from Monday 16 April 2018 to Thursday 28 February 2019, subject to availability. Special offers only available during promotional period. Inclusions are not refundable for cash. Pet policy applies.